UN annual reports emphasize the risks to the volatile economy associated with an increase in tourism volumes. The result of this phenomenon is degradation of the quality of natural resources. In fact, the concentration and excessive use of tourists from areas leads to the destruction of these areas. Biodiversity conservation is a new approach to the sustainable development of natural resources that in order to achieve this, the tourism industry needs new requirements and this has led to the codification of an integrated global strategy for environmental protection.Since the hotel industry is considered to be the heart of tourism activities, it is important to review and evaluate the environmental damaging impacts of hotels and the surrounding area.
Sustainable hotels (green hotel) are hotels that emphasize on environmental values and land conservation in their daily affairs and focus on delivering high quality services through optimal energy, water, other resources use and reduced waste production and pollutants.
The statistics of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) show the growing popularity of tourists around the world to select green hotels. The reasons for tendency of hotels to become sustainable are as follows:
Attention and loyalty of nature lovers to environmental values, increasing brand value and customer loyalty in the context of respect for the environment, gaining recognition and reputation in the form of social marketing, reducing costs and proper management of resources, and enhancing the productivity.
Green Hotel Goals:
- A significant reduction in the operational and service costs with a view to creating competitiveness and sustainability in the hotel
- Create a new range of environment-friendly customers
- Eco-management as a daily task of management
- Identify important criteria for the hotel to ensure continuity and performance of the activities
- Logical promotion of productivity in the use of natural resources
- Creating opportunities for the hotel to take the first step forward in order to benefit from the integrated environmental management system.
The concept of the best environmental practices in the hotel industry:
- Economic justification for the use of natural resources
- Reduce waste volume and improve waste management
- Create purchasing guidelines that are consistent with environmental issues
- Improving the quality of the hotel’s indoor environment
- Informing hotel staff about the importance of environmental issues and increasing their participation
- Informing hotel guests about the importance of environmental issues and increasing their participation